South America Natural Adventures
Nature travel and wildlife tours, with a side of culture, to Peru, Colombia, Guyana, Ecuador & Galapagos, Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama and Belize, Guatemala and more
Honduras Birding for Conservation Tour 2016
Objective: A relaxed Honduras birding contest wherein 5 teams of 10 participants will each be led by an international team leader, and one expert, Honduran birding guide. Teams will bird a rich diversity of tropical habitats through 3 main locations in Honduras. Teams and locations will be rotated to maximize enjoyment. Team recording the greatest number of species will win a $20,000 award to the Honduran/international birding conservation projects of that team’s choice. Teams 2, 3, 4, and 5 will draw from additional prizes benefiting birding and conservation in Honduras.
Date: Nov. 4 to 13, 2016
10-Day Itinerary: Arrival day, 4 nights Pico Bonito National Park (Lodge at Pico Bonito), 2 nights Cerro Azul National Park/Lake Yojoa (Panacam Lodge), 2 nights Copan, Honduras (Hotel Marina Copan). Closing and awards dinner: The final night of November 12, 2016 will be a special Awards Dinner with an very special honored guest.
First Prize: 1. $10,000 for the Honduras conservation project of team’s choice. $10,000 for international conservation project of team leader’s choice. A $1,000 Rockjumper Tours voucher for each team member. Additional Awards:
2. $10,000 for Honduras conservation project of team’s choice +$500 Pico Bonito Lodge voucher per participant.
3. Zeiss Conservation Prize: $5,000 and binoculars for project of team’s choice +$500 Pico Bonito Lodge voucher per participant.
4. Leica Conservation Prize: 5 Pair of Leica binoculars for event guides +$500 Pico Bonito Lodge voucher per participant.
5. Eagle Optics Conservation Prize: 10 pairs of Eagle Optics binoculars for local Honduran guides +$500 Pico Bonito Lodge voucher per participant.
Conservation Projects: 1. Las Orquidias Ecological Reserve (endangered Honduran Emerald, Three-wattled Bellbird).
2. Macaw Mountain Scarlet Macaw Reintroduction Program.
3. Fuente de Vida, Resplendent Quetzal Cloud-forest Restoration Program.
4. Eastern Olancho Harpy Eagle Program.
5. Zamorano University/E-bird Educational Program.